I have been working with start ups in an HR capacity for over 11 years and these are some of the tools that have been helpful for me:
1) LinkedIn is your friend when it comes to recruiting- use your networks! Also, join HR groups. You'd be amazed at how many people are willing to share their wisdom and hard work for free!
2) TriNet (in my experience) is the best PEO to use to help manage the benefits, payroll and HR aspects of a small start up
3) Once a start up starts to grow, I think it is very smart to have an HR consultant come in and help you build your infrastructure for growth. They are also very helpful in consulting on building a strong corporate culture.
4) ask your VC's if they have any resources that you can use. Often times they do or will be working with other startups that you can have free access to.
5) shrm.org is worth the annual fee
6) I also recommend buying the annual Labor Law books- they can help answer those sometimes complex HR questions
7) http://www.workforce.com/ is a great tool
Feel free to contact me if you have any other questions!
Answered 8 months ago by Nicole Stith
No comments yet.